Credo Reference Brainteaser – Fairy Tales
Tony Augarde, who compiles these brainteasers, has published an ebook called Grim Fairy Tales. This inspired him to write this quiz about fairy tales and the people associated with them.
1. In Hans Christian Andersen’s story “The Ugly Duckling”, what did the ugly young bird grow into?
2. In the story “The Princess and the Pea”, how did the prince’s mother test that the princess was genuine?
3. Which American comic actor played the title role in the 1952 film “Hans Christian Andersen”?
4. In “The Sleeping Beauty”, how long did the princess sleep before she was released by the kiss of a young prince?
5. A statue of Hans Andersen’s Little Mermaid is at the harbour entrance of which city?
6. Which fairy tale includes the words “Grandmother, what big eyes you have!”
7. Which fairy tale is about a man who married Alice Fitzwarren and becomes Mayor of London three times?
8. In “Jack and the Beanstalk”, what did Jack give in exchange for the beans which grew into a beanstalk?
9. The original Brothers Grimm version of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” gives no names for the dwarfs. Can you give six of the seven names they had in Disney’s film version?
10. Which composer turned the story of “Hansel and Gretel” into an opera in 1893?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)