Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser- 20th-Century Events
This week’s brainteaser is about things that happened during the 20th century.
1. The night before he died in 1968, which American said in a speech “I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land”?
2. What kind of animal was launched into space in 1957 in Sputnik 2?
3. Name one of the two cities on which atomic bombs were dropped in August 1945.
4. Which German city was blockaded by Soviet Forces from June 1948 to May 1949?
5. Which American president was known as LBJ?
6. Which important international position was held by Kofi Annan from 1997 to 2006?
7. What was the title of Elvis Presley’s first million-selling single in 1956?
8. Which island in the Mediterranean was invaded by Turkish soldiers in 1974, taking the northern part of the island?
9. Name one of the two boxers who fought the “Rumble in the Jungle” in Kinshasa on 30 October 1974.
10. From 1932 to 1968, Antonio Salazar was prime minister of which country: Italy, Hungary or Portugal?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)