Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – Popular Names
Some people or things have two names: one is their full or proper name; the other is a popular name or nickname. So the actor John Christopher Depp II is popularly known as Johnny Depp, while the Strategic Defense Initiative is colloquially known as Star Wars. Try to answer these questions about popular names.
1. Which city is popularly known as “The Big Apple”?
2. What was the popular name for the exuberant performer and pianist Thomas Wright Waller (1904-1943), best remembered for such songs as “Ain’t Misbehavin'” and “Your Feet’s Too Big”?
3. What is the popular name for the golfer Eldrick Woods?
4. What is the proper name for the phenomenon which is popularly known as the northern lights?
5. Which American city was built within a great bend of the Mississippi and is therefore called the Crescent City?
6. What is the popular name of pop singer and songwriter George O’Dowd?
7. “Eroica” is the popular name for which composer’s Symphony no. 3?
8. What is the common name for a member of the Reformed Cistercians of the Strict Observance, a Cistercian order of Christian monks noted for their rule of silence?
9. What is the popular name for small, brilliantly coloured birds of the family Trochilidae, which feed in flight on insects and nectar, usually by hovering in front of flowers? Their wings make a particular sound.
10. What is the usual name for a Greek painter of the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries who spent most of his career in Spain and is famous for his paintings of religious subjects and for his distorted, elongated figures?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)