Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – 100 Greatest Films
The British film critic Barry Norman recently produced his list of “The 100 Greatest Films of All Time”. See if you can identify these films chosen from his list.
1. Walt Disney computer-animated film (2001) about an ugly smelly green ogre with a heart of gold.
2. 1989 film for which Meg Ryan is best known for the scene in which she fakes sexual ecstasy in a busy restaurant.
3. 1941 film that looks back on the life and career of a fictional newspaper magnate played by Orson Welles.
4. 1972 film musical starring Liza Minnelli as the cabaret singer Sally Bowles.
5. 1959 film comedy starring Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis as two jazz musicians who disguise themselves as women.
6. 1938 Errol Flynn film about the outlaw hero of innumerable tales and legends set in medieval England.
7. 2007 film of book by Cormac McCarthy about the violent world of drug-trafficking near the Rio Grande.
8. 1933 Marx Brothers movie whose title refers to an easily accomplished task or assignment.
9. Award-winning 1997 film adapted from 1990 novel by James Ellroy.
10. Stanley Kubrick’s 1957 film about mutinies in the French Army during the First World War.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)