Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – Christmas Songs
Having had a general quiz about Christmas, here’s a brainteaser about Christmas songs.
1. Which British rock group returned its 1973 Christmas chart-topper “Merry Xmas Everybody’ to the British charts no less than eight times?
2. Which Christmas song is about a reindeer who is chosen by Santa because his red nose lights up the night?
3. What is the English title of the Christmas hymn “Stille Nacht”?
4. Name one of the two singers who composed “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” for Band Aid in 1984.
5. Which former member of the Beatles had a hit several times with “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”?
6. Which song was a No. 1 hit all over Europe for Boney M at Christmas 1978, having previously been recorded by Harry Belafonte?
7. Who wrote the song “White Christmas”: Irving Berlin, Cole Porter or George Gershwin?
8. Which group released the song “Last Christmas” in 1984?
9. Which singer-songwriter’s second album included a modern Christmas song, “A Spaceman Came Travelling”?
10. What Christmas song did Judy Garland sing to comfort Margaret O’Brien in the 1944 film “Meet Me in St Louis”?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)