Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – Eight
All the questions in this week’s brainteaser concern the number eight and things with “eight” in their names.
1. Which popular music group released a song in 1964 called “Eight Days a Week”?
2. What are or were “pieces of eight”?
3. What is the meaning of the phrase “be (or have had) one over the eight”?
4. In popular music, what is the “middle eight”?
5. In mathematics, a horizontal figure of eight is a symbol of what?
6. What is the meaning of the phrase “behind the eight ball”?
7. Who wrote the 1966 novel “When Eight Bells Toll”?
8. The G8 or Group of Eight is an organization of the eight leading industrial nations of the world. Can you name four of them?
9. In 1984, Peter Hyams directed a sequel to the film “2001: a Space Odyssey”. Fans of the original movie were not impressed and gave it the alternative title “Ten Past Eight”. What was Hyams’ film actually called?
10. The Warsaw Pact was a military defensive alliance between eight countries: the USSR and seven East European communist states. Can you name five members of the Warsaw Pact?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)