Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – The Zodiac
The Zodiac is the area through which the sun apparently passes in a year, divided into 12 parts or “signs” of the Zodiac. Try to answer these questions about the Zodiac, which is often used to predict people’s fortunes.
1. In what way is this sentence connected with the Zodiac: “A tense grey cat lay very low, sneaking slowly, contemplating a pounce”?
2. What is officially the first constellation or sign of the Zodiac?
3. If you were born on 25 December, what sign of the Zodiac would you have been born under?
4. Which animal represents Taurus in the Zodiac?
5. Is the Tropic of Cancer or the Tropic of Capricorn named for the sign of the Zodiac during which the sun reached its maximum northerly declination or position?
6. What is the only constellation of the Zodiac named after an inanimate object (not a creature or creatures)?
7. Which sign of the Zodiac might be described as “The Man that bears the watering-pot”?
8. The equinoxes occur as the Sun enters the signs of Aries and Libra, at which time the Sun passes directly above what?
9. Is the word Zodiac derived from the ancient Greek word for a star, the future, or a small figure of an animal?
10. Zodiac is used to refer to what kind of boat?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)