Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – Japan
Japan has been in the news for some weeks because of a disastrous earthquake and tsunami. This week’s brainteaser is about Japan and Japanese things.
1. What is the capital of Japan?
2. In Japanese, which martial art literally means “empty hand”?
3. The Japanese flag shows a circle on a white background. What colour is the circle?
4. What is the highest mountain in Japan?
5. Which drink is often called Japanese rice wine?
6. On 6 August 1945, which Japanese city was the target of the first atomic bomb dropped in warfare?
7. Akira Kurosawa’s film “Seven Samurai” was remade as a western in 1960 with what title?
8. Japan fought a war with which country from February 1904 to September 1905?
9. Which Japanese-born writer won the Booker Prize for his 1989 book “The Remains of the Day”?
10. What kind of theatre is the Japanese “bunraku”?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)