Credo Reference Friday Brainteaser – Bananas
This brainteaser is all about bananas – which can have numerous different meanings and associations.
1. If someone is “bananas,” it is a colloquialism meaning what?
2. How many people were in the British female vocal group Bananarama?
3. What kind of food is a banana split?
4. Name the “King of Calypso” who had a Top Five hit on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1950s with “Banana Boat Song.”
5. Canaan Banana was the first president of which African country?
6. “Bananas” (1971) was the title of one of the first films of which US screenwriter, actor and director?
7. Who designed the sleeve featuring a banana for the 1967 record album “The Velvet Underground and Nico”?
8. Do bananas develop from the male or female flowers of the banana plant?
9. Which British poet recorded readings of his poetry with the title of “Banana Blush” in 1974, with music by Jim Parker?
10. “BANANA” is an acronym for a person who objects to a building development even though they will not themselves be inconvenienced by it. What phrase do the letters of BANANA stand for?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)